An Academic Master Plan (AMP) is a visioning and decision-making process that is based on the University’s mission, strategic priorities, and core values, and it communicates how the academic enterprise will endeavor to meet the changing needs of our students. Our AMP will be informed by the academic identity of Sonoma State as a public liberal arts and sciences university, and it creates a framework for aligning our resources with the academic mission.
Charge for Division and Campus
The Division of Academic Affairs will start the Academic Master Plan process in 2022-2023 academic year, and the task is as follows:
- Define a vision and plan for academics at Sonoma State that meets the strategic priorities and core values identified in the campus’ Strategic Plan 2025. The priorities are student success, academic excellence, leadership cultivation, and transformative impact. The core values are diversity and social justice, sustainability and environmental inquiry, connectivity and community engagement, and adaptability and responsiveness. The vision and plan will align with our federally designated status as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and will be guided by our commitment to equity, inclusion and belonging for our students, faculty, and staff.
- Develop a plan that aligns our organizational structure, our academic programs, our spaces and technologies, and our services to the needs of our current campus enrollment, which is both smaller and more diverse; we will build in the flexibility to grow as the campus increases its student population and evolves into a majority-minority serving campus.
- Determine the best program mix for SSU’s identity as a public liberal arts and sciences university with robust professional degree programs; that process includes program evaluation, a review of low-enrolled programs, and an opportunity for faculty to rethink curricula, course offerings, and organizational structure to attract new students and prepare students for the workforce or postbaccalaureate programs, community engagement, and life-long learning.
- Determine how to organize Academic Affairs more effectively to enhance academic excellence, serve a diverse student body, accomplish the operational functions of an academic division, and provide a better, more satisfying experience for students, faculty, and staff; develop structures that support interdisciplinarity; explore shared services and centralization of services; and eliminate duplication of effort.
- Develop a strategic course scheduling plan that graduates students on time while using space effectively and efficiently, maximizing course capacity, minimizing GE course conflicts, and reducing the cost of instruction; strategic scheduling and space utilization must serve the needs of on-campus and commuter students, online and on-ground
FAQs; Academic Master Plan & Process
Steering Committee Membership (*Executive Committee Membership)
|AVP Academic Affairs||*Stacey Bosick|
|AVP Institutional Effectiveness||Heather Brown|
|Senior Director of Budget & Planning for Academic Affairs||*Mike Ogg|
|Director of CTET||*Justin Lipp|
|Chair of the Faculty||*Lauren Morimoto Sp'23; Laura Krier F'23|
|Chair of APARC||*Emily Acosta Lewis|
|Center for Environmental Inquiry & Sustainable Programs||Claudia Luke|
|A&H Faculty||Wendy Ostroff Sp'23, Michaela Grobbel F'23|
|B&E Faculty||Tom Targett (At-Large)|
|EDU Faculty||Chiara Bacigalupa|
|S&T Faculty||Daniel Crocker|
|Soc. Sci. Faculty||Missy Garvin|
|Lecturer||Wendy St John|
|Assoc. Students||Athena Weathers|
|Staff Rep||Hope Emry Ortiz|
|B&E Rep||Florence Bouvet|
|Staff to the Committee||Vivi Yang Sp'23|
|Staff to the Committee||*Meredith Spires|
Opportunities for feedback:
- Thursday, January 19th, 2023: Faculty Retreat
Friday, January 27th, 2023 12:00 - 1:00pmOpen-forum: Liberal Arts Identity (TBD); This is currently being rescheduled.
- Wednesday, February 1st, 2023 12:00 - 1:00pm: Open-forum for campus on Current/New Programs
- Monday, February 6th, 2023 12:00 -1:00pm: Open-forum for campus on Strategic Scheduling
- Mid-to-late February School meetings to discuss AMP progress (scheduled by each School/Dean)
- Monday, February 27th, 2023 12:00 - 1:00pm: Staff Open-forum on AMP
- Tuesday, March 7th, 2023 2:00 - 3:00pm Chair Chat: Academic Master Planning Process, Hosted by the Academic Senate
- Tuesday, April 11th, 5:30 - 7:30pm Student AMP Open-forum
- Late April/early May: share out report to all constituents; one more open forum or opportunity for feedback
Presentations & Conversations:
Agendas & Minutes