- Graduate Studies Checklist
- Advancement to Candidacy (GSO-1 Form) Information
- Graduation and Award of Master's Degree Form, Information, and Deadlines
- Academic Requirement Report
- Additional Form Required for Graduation - Completion of Requirements (GSO-2 Form) and Deadlines
- Graduation Postponement Information and Form
Download and use this checklist to help you stay on track and monitor your progress through your degree. This checklist does not address program-specific requirements.
Advancement to Candidacy forms are known as GSO-1 forms. GSO-1 forms are accepted on a rolling basis and should be submitted promptly upon completing the requirements for Advancement to Candidacy. This form should be filed prior to enrolling in any culminating project coursework.
All Graduate students must have an Advancement to Candidacy Form on file with Graduate Studies prior to graduation.
- Download your program's GSO1 form below.
- Digital signatures are required.
- Make sure to get your form signed by both your supervising committee/faculty member and department graduate coordinator.
- Submit your completed/signed form via email to email@example.com.
- Your form will be reviewed by the Office of Graduate Studies and your Academic Requirement Report will reflect your Advancement to Candidacy when the form has been processed. If your change in status does not appear within 7 working days, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advancement to Candidacy is required in order to graduate.
|Biology||Download Biology GSO1|
|Business (MBA and EMBA)||Download Business GSO1|
|Computer Engineering Science||Download Computer Engineering Science GSO1|
|Counseling (CMHC)||Download CMHC GSO1|
|Counseling (School Counseling)||Download School Counseling GSO1|
|Cultural Resources Management||Download CRM GSO1|
|Education||Download Education GSO1|
|English||Download English GSO1|
|Film Studies||Download Film Studies GSO1|
|History||Download History GSO1|
|Interdisciplinary Studies||Download Interdisciplinary Studies GSO1|
|Master's in Public Administration||Download Master's in Public Administration GSO1|
|Nursing||Download Nursing GSO1|
|Organization Development||Download Organization Development GSO1|
|Depthy Psychology||Download Depth Psychology GSO1|
|Spanish||Download Spanish GSO1|
In order to graduate, a student must:
- Complete a Master's Degree Application Form by the specified deadlines.
- Complete a GSO-2 form and submit it by the specified deadlines seen below (Nursing students exempt).
- Be enrolled in coursework or Project Continuation in the semester in which they intend to graduate.
If you are completing a thesis be sure to review the Graduate Studies Thesis Review page for required forms and formatting guidelines.
|Fill Out Master's Degree Application Form Online||Upon submission the application will go directly to Admissions and Records for processing. At the top of the page the application will indicate completed submission. After completing the Master's Degree Application Form it is important to visit the Office of the Registrar Graduation webpage to review and follow further steps. Read the webpage thoroughly, including the "Additional Information for Graduate Students" at the bottom of the page.|
|If you want to graduate in:||Submit your application by:|
|Spring 2022||February 1, 2022|
|Summer 2022||February 1, 2022|
|Fall 2022||September 15, 2022|
The Academic Requirement Report (ARR) is found in MySSU.
Navigation: MySSU > Student Center > other academic… dropdown > Academic Requirements
For help viewing your ARR the Registrar's Office has created this video.
In order to be granted a degree your ARR needs to reflect that you have completed the General Masters Degree Requirements and the Program Requirements. Courses should either appear green or yellow by the time at which you file your GSO2.
You should work with your advisor if your ARR does not appear accurate and fill out ARR Update Forms as necessary, available through the ARR.
- If you have taken a course in substitution of a requirement and it is not appearing on your ARR
- If you believe there is an error and a requirement does not appear met you should work with your advisor to complete an ARR Update Form, available through the ARR
- If you have taken a course outside of SSU you should follow the Registrar's directions for submitting transcripts and submit an ARR Update Form
The Completion of Requirements Form (GSO-2) must be submitted to email@example.com the semester you intend to graduate. See both sets of Submission Deadlines below.
If you are completing a Sonoma State degree with an internship or comprehensive exam, submit this form during your last semester of attendance after the coursework has been completed, the internship has been completed, or the comprehensive exam has been passed.
If you are completing a professional paper, submit this form when your paper has been read and approved by your committee.
If you are completing a thesis or project that needs clearance by the Office of Graduate Studies you must defend your thesis and get it approved by your committee. Submit your form with:
- A digital copy of your thesis for review
- Thesis Signature form
- Submission Agreement
Please see Graduate Studies Thesis Review for full instructions and forms. All formal theses and all creative projects (English-MA) require review by the Office of Graduate Studies and will be cataloged at the SSU Library.
GSO-2 Form Submission Deadlines
|If you want to graduate in:||Submit your GSO-2 and final thesis by:|
|Spring 2022||May 13, 2022|
|Summer 2022||July 15, 2022|
|Fall 2022||December 16, 2022|
|If you want to graduate in:||Submit your GSO-2 by:|
|Spring 2022||May 20, 2022|
|Summer 2022||July 29, 2022|
|Fall 2022||January 4, 2023|
|Biology||Download Biology GSO2|
|Business (MBA)||Download MBA GSO2|
|Business (MBA, Executive)||Download MBA Executive GSO2|
|Computer Engineering Science||Download Computer Engineering Science GSO2|
|Counseling (CMHC)||Download CMHC GSO2|
|Counseling (School Counseling)||Download School Counseling GSO2|
|Cultural Resources Management||Download CRM GSO2|
|Early Childhood Studies||Download Early Childhood Studies GSO2|
|Education||Download Education GSO2|
|Educational Leadership||Download Educational Leadership GSO2|
|English||Download English GSO2|
|Film Studies||Download Film Studies GSO2|
|History||Download History GSO2|
|Interdisciplinary Studies||Download Interdisciplinary Studies GSO2|
|Master's in Public Administration||Download Master's in Public Administration GSO2|
|Organization Development||Download Organization Development GSO2|
|Depth Psychology||Download Depth Psychology GSO2|
|Spanish||Download Spanish GSO2|
NOTE: If you apply to graduate but do not complete all requirements, you must re-apply for the next graduation date after having met requirements by filing a Graduation Postponement Form electronically using the link below.
- Graduate students who have completed their coursework and who need additional time to work on their thesis or other final project must be enrolled each additional semester through one of the mechanisms specified in this policy, which is printed in the University catalog. For more information please see Continuous Enrollment Policy.